Social Media Marketing

Why Your Business Should Consider Pinterest

The visual nature of Pinterest makes the platform an essential part of any business’s marketing strategy. Essentially, Pinterest is an online scrapbook connected to a search engine—a search engine that supports nearly 2 billion searches monthly.

Source: MorelSO / iStock / Getty

The visual and search capabilities of Pinterest make it perfect for business marketing due to its ability to drive traffic. More than three-quarters (76%) of top brands use the platform, and the average amount per order from Pinterest traffic ranges between $140 and $180 dollars. It’s undeniable—Pinterest is a must-have in your marketing arsenal.

Upgrading to a Pinterest for Business Account

There are certain perks associated with registering your Pinterest account as a business account. Specifically, having a business account gives you access to analytics. Through Pinterest analytics, you are able to see the performance of each of your pins and the number of impressions, likes, and shares per pin. Upgrading to a business account on Pinterest is imperative because the platform provides you with tools to plan marketing strategies.

Rich Pins

In addition to the analytics offered by Pinterest through its business accounts, it also offer rich pins. Rich pins are pins that include extra information specific to the pin itself. Rich pins take the form of articles, products, places, movies, apps, and recipes.

To give an example, app rich pins can be downloaded straight from Pinterest or can be used to create lists of your favorite articles. To get rich pins, you will need to make sure that your website is marked up with meta tags, but it’s worth the extra leg work to get these perks.

Connections

Pinterest is all about making connections. While some businesses shy away from the repin button, you shouldn’t. Repinning helps you to determine what your audience likes (and if you upgrade to a business account, what they specifically click on).

Repinning helps you to network with businesses in your field. By pinning to group boards, you are can interact with people in your niche. As a rule of thumb, only 20% of your pins should be your content, and the remaining 80% should come from repins—so use group boards to your advantage.

SEO

Pinterest is one of the biggest search engines not owned by Google, making it a perfect place to incorporate strong search engine optimization (SEO) techniques. Use keywords in your profile description, in your pins, and on your boards. Keep pin descriptions to 200–300 words by using language specific to your brand and niche. Last, build and boost links that will drive traffic back to your website.

Sharable Content

On Pinterest, shareability is essential. Create clean, pinnable images for every type of post. Maximize visual space by using 735×1102 pixel images. Remember, a good image captures the attention of users, which then directs users to your content. The options for Pinterest content are endless: businesses can share blog posts, behind-the-scenes production, videos, graphics, and customer profiles. Use images to grasp your audience, then reveal your strong content.

Pinterest: The Business Advantage

You cannot take advantage of Pinterest if you have not identified the target audience of your business. Pinterest is about interacting as much as it is about sharing your own content, which means you must have consistent SEO, the desire to connect with others, and the willingness to share more than just your product.